I am still getting over the fact that another year is coming to a close, but the recent Thanksgiving Day observance confirms that I am not dreaming. I try to plant gratitude seeds every day, but this is the official season for a gratitude post. So, this is my top 10 gratitude list from Thanksgiving Day:
- My five senses, so that I could see the beautiful faces of my loves as we gathered together, hear the cacophony of children laughing, football games on the television, silverware colliding with plates as the ravenous group savored the first bites of dinner, and snippets of conversation, touch the warm hands holding mine as I said grace, smell the marriage of the various dishes as they cooked, and speak the pre-feast prayer of gratitude to God for past, present and future blessings.
- Given that our unit stopped working right before the holiday, central heat.
- Family and friends, those present and away.
- The extra sets of hands that made # 10 a reality.
- The sweet memories of loved ones who are no longer with us.
- Watching the g’children as they rush to catch bubbles before they pop or drift beyond their little hands.
- My staunch refusal to go shopping on the holiday (or the following day).
- Watching Charlie Brown’s Thanksgiving with my g’daughter leaning against me.
- The laughter that ensued as everyone shared their favorite scenes from National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase. (If you haven’t seen this hysterical movie, it is a Christmas must-see.)
- At the end of the day, a clean kitchen and not a dirty dish in sight.
There you have it. My Top 10 gratitude list. What about you? What’s on your “gratitude” list?